Founded in 1961, Florida Atlantic University is a comprehensive public university that currently serves more than 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students at sites strategically located along the state’s southeastern coastline. Long known as an outstanding teaching institution, FAU is undergoing rapid development as a center of cutting-edge research.
The University currently offers more than 180 undergraduate and graduate degree programs through 10 colleges and holds accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Additionally, the University holds membership in the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges and the Council of Graduate Schools.
Playing an important part in furthering the mission of the University are a number of centers and institutes dedicated to specific academic or research pursuits. For example, FAU is the home of the Southeast National Marine Renewable Energy Center, a federally funded research facility that is developing technology to generate energy by harnessing the power of Florida’s ocean currents. For more than 40 years, FAU's Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute has been a world-renowned center for ocean research.
The University has also entered into joint research and education agreements with three of the premier scientific research organizations in the world: The Scripps Research Institute, the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies and the Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience. Active partnerships with the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Research Institute — a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center — and the Smithsonian Marine Station enhance FAU's mission.
A member of Conference USA, FAU has 19 men’s and women’s intercollegiate teams, including an NCAA Division I football team that plays a 30,000-seat football stadium.
About FAU’s Global Student Success Program
The GSSP is a university-level academic program designed to support international students as they adjust to life in the United States. By providing additional academic, social, and cultural support during the first year, GSSP staff and faculty help students build a strong foundation that supports their future success.
- Undergraduate students qualify for a two- or three-semester GSSP depending on their academic qualifications and English proficiency. Upon successful completion of the GSSP, students move into the second year of their chosen degree program. Since the Undergraduate GSSP is equivalent to the first year of a bachelor’s degree, students are still on track to graduate in a total of four years.
- Graduate students will enroll in a two-semester GSSP and complete nine graduate credits during the program. These nine credits are applied toward the graduate program of choice. Most graduate GSSP students complete their degree in a total of two or two-and-a-half years.
How do we do it?
- A mix of credit and non-credit support courses provide an academic and cultural bridge from previous education abroad to university studies in the USA.
- A dedicated student support team who monitor academic performance, attendance, well-being and who provide academic advising, orientation, disability support, social activities, and 24/7 emergency assistance.
- Learning and study support though academic and career counseling, integrated learning skills workshops, mentorship programs, personal support and welfare counseling, academic support, writing labs, and so on.
Students who exceed the academic and English qualifications necessary for GSSP will be notified and processed for direct entry, bypassing the GSSP.
Why choose FAU GSSP?
- Receive a world-class education at a university based in a warm, tropical location just 5km from the beach!
- Small classroom sizes mean you get individualized attention from your professors.
- A strong focus on practical education and research ensures you receive a high-quality degree.
- More than 50% of FAU students are from a diverse or multicultural background, ensuring a welcoming campus and community.
- No SAT, ACT, GRE, or GMAT required for admission.* *only MS Econ requires GRE/GMAT for admission
- Low cost of attendance
Message from the Executive Director, FAU GSSP
Greetings! I am delighted you are considering studying at Florida Atlantic University. Boca Raton is a magical place you will love from the beginning. FAU offers a comprehensive and supportive academic environment and an exciting, safe, and fun living environment next to the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. Experience an unforgettable U.S. college experience at a premier university in a location that is hard to beat for services, lifestyle and academic rigor. We pair the academic preparation programs with the FAU curriculum to give students in the FAU Global Student Success program the tools, knowledge and support needed to achieve academic success. We look forward to you starting your journey with us and joining the FAU family.
Carol Stax Brown
Executive Director, Florida Atlantic University, Global Student Success Program
Message from the President, Florida Atlantic University
I am pleased to welcome students in the Global Student Success Program to Florida Atlantic University, where we are proud to offer a world-class education in a beautiful sub-tropical setting. For a half-century, FAU has been dedicated to the multifaceted mission of delivering the best in higher education, research, creative activities and community service.
A large, comprehensive institution, FAU serves more than 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students on campuses strategically situated along more than 100 miles of Florida's beautiful southeastern coastline. We are very proud to have the most racially, ethnically and culturally diverse student body in Florida's State University System, creating a varied college community that offers tremendous advantages for all of our students.
FAU graduates include two Pulitzer Prize recipients and a NASA astronaut. Many more are leaders of business, industry, government, education, and the arts. We take great pride in all of the men and women who have passed through the university's doors, and we will continue to hold our doors open to generations of future students.
Florida Atlantic University is here to serve you, and I hope you will take full advantage of all that the Global Student Success Program and this remarkable institution have to offer.
President, Florida Atlantic University